Reading and books ...

Dear all

I am an avid reader. I am ... in the present tense. However for a number of years I have lost this passion.

Marie Kondo addresses books second in her list of things to tackle and let go. Over the past year or so I said good bye to many books I purchased but did not find joy in reading, books that made me feel guilty for not reading them, and others that were gifted to me.

The more I let go the more I began to read again. A weird counter intuitive result. Kondo received a lot of criticism on this topic in the social media. However she does not make you get rid of anything ... it is up to you in what you decide to keep. I went through phases with my cleanse. The first two times I removed books I had no desire of reading in the first place or again, cook books that required a massive investment just to make one recipe. That removed a lot of information around me fighting for my attention.  The next phase was harder. These were the guilt trapped books, the ones I kind of enjoyed reading but not sure I wanted to persevere. I left them for the time being to see if I can read them once and let go. Some were read and let go, others I wished good bye to since.

An interesting revelation came when I realised I do not enjoy the same kind of books I used to. Since a young age I have predominantly read fiction, from classics to detectives to chic-flics. It was a form of an escape. I find it next to impossible to read fiction now. Instead I prefer to read non-fiction self-development books now. Books that discuss decluttering, minimalism, personal finance, and purpose of life.

I host a monthly reading group, and we read whatever we like in this category of non-fiction.  This was my selection for August ...


I finished reading three of the books and made progress on a fourth. I see books now more as an experience with a few treasures to keep along the way. Sustainability is pushing me towards audio books and I may even consider ebooks, however a few paperbacks and hardbacks are also needed in my life to give me joy. I have had some lazy mornings with a cup of tea and a book in bed.

I am looking forward to finalising my September selection.

Until soon,
Lija

No comments:

Post a Comment